Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Postcard 1 - Article - 'The Secrets of Travel Writing'

Dear John,

Last week you wrote me a very enthusiastic letter about your trip to Canada. It was a pleasure to read it, but I am still thinking about the last three sentences - ‘And now I know for sure that I want to be a travel writer …’ - you wrote me. Why do you want to write stories about travelling? Only because you have had a wonderful time in Canada? Sounds ridiculous to me. I think travel writing is more like a job than like a hobby: in that case you'll have to stop your career as a surgeon. And to show you that I know what I am talking about, I’ll give you a short summary of the article by Peter Moore, ‘The Secrets of Travel Writing’, I read a few weeks ago.

Peter Moore is a travel writer himself and the first thing I want to mention is that he calls it a JOB, not a hobby. Besides that, the article told me that every piece of writing must be aspirational. So it’s not possible to write about common things such as doing the washing up or buying lettuce at the greengrocer’s. These things can be spectacular, but travel writing deals with ‘things most people would love to do’. And of course a journey into Canada is amazing, but the only thing you can do at this moment is writing a very nice article about your trip in the local newspaper. If it is really good, you’ll find a regarding letter from the woman next door in your letter box, but then your career as a writer is over, as long as you are not going to travel any more.

To be more convincing I will go on with summarizing the article. Mr Moore’s second point is that you have to find your own voice. It will be useful to write as if you were telling your story to your friends in the pub or as if you were writing a letter to somebody. Well, I think your letters to me are readable and funny, but the only reason for those positive thoughts is that I always read your letters and I got used to it. When I gave one to my sister, she will be fast asleep before reading the second paragraph.

When I see the postman coming to my door, I always know if he is carrying one of your letters or not. When he is carrying one, I feel sorry for him because of his back. His face is red then, and he walks like an old man. When he has posted your letter, his face colour becomes normal and he runs like a hare. What I meant to say is that your letters are quite long and that’s not a good thing if you want to be a travel writer. Travel writers have to be masters in leaving out information that could be boring or irrelevant. Most of the times, small details make a story dreadful and less interesting.

For my final argument I am going to quote your last letter: ‘And then I went to the supermarket and then I bought two sunflowers at the florist’s and then I got home and then I found my cat…’ Did you mention the words ‘and then’ or are you even used to it like me (after years of frustration)? A travel writer uses dialogues in his stories to make it more vivid and less monotonous.

Well, my best friend, there is a lot of work to do for you. Please read Peter Moore’s article and take note of my comments. Maybe this letter will provoke you, but I think you need it.

All the best,

Neline

No comments: