Monday, February 26, 2007

Postcard 6 - Article - 'Istanbul'

www.timeout.com/travel/istanbul/intro


Questions

How is the city located?
It is spread over seven hills and surrounded on three sides by water.
Why does the city have a feeling of newness?
Only twenty queers have passed since the end of military rule.
What buildings are found on the peninsula called Sultanahmet?
The ‘Haghia Sophia’, Topkapi Palace and The Sultanahmet Mosque.
Give some information on the Grand Bazaar shopping centre.
The streets around it now host most of the real trading but the bazaar is still the centre for jewellery and the top place for fabrics.
Mention a new museum and why it is attractive.
‘Istanbul Modern’, because it has a good collection of modern local art.



Dear John,

How are you doing? Still dreaming about a career as a travel writer? If you really want to become one, it may be useful to buy lots of pencils and bloc notes. As you know, I am in Istanbul on holiday now and in three weeks I wasted four bloc notes! Can’t understand myself, but it’s the truth. When I was walking in the town centre, I jotted down some notes and I want to share them with you.

‘Big buildings, beautiful mosques and a shining sun. That seems to be Istanbul town centre. Especially the mosques make me shiver. Sometimes I hear the low voices of the Muslin men, praying inside, facing Mecca. The devotion is nearly touchable. Some women are waiting in front of the biggest mosque, looking after their playing children and bickering about the latest news. There seems to be an enormous difference between the world inside and outside the room of praying.’

When a man came outside the mosque, I stopped writing. Suddenly it seemed rude to play the innocent tourist at such a place of devotion and tradition. I walked my own way through the narrow streets and found my car parked on the same place as where I had left it. My car looked different and the place looked different, and I know for sure that was because of my emotional condition after visiting this impressive city centre.

My dear friend, as you already understand, I am really impressed by Istanbul. Maybe it’s worth to write a book about it…

All the best,
Neline

No comments: